Sail on silver girl...Sail on by...Your time has come to shine...All your dreams are on their way...See how they shine

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Will Run for Food!

This weekend I needed to find motivation to run my "longer" run for the week. I didn't feel like doing the usual loops of the park, so I needed to come up with something different. What would push me out the door to run 10+ miles, I wondered? Food of course!!! It always does!

I have a notepad near my computer that I use to write down names of places/foods to try here in NYC that I read about on other blogger's posts. The list has become quite long, with an entire section devoted just to sweets, all of which I never seem to remember when I am out and about in the city.

So, I got out my list, opened up my computer to Map My Run, and began planning out my route. The final destination I decided would be Momofuko Dessert Bar. I was dying to try out their famous compost cookie that I have read so much about, and even recently seen highlighted on Live with Regis and Kelly.

The problem is I technically only live 3.4 miles from the cookie mecca, certainly not enough to consider it a long run. So I decided to take a bit of a detour. I would run out of Manhattan, into Queens and come back into lower Manhattan through Brooklyn to make it an 10.8 mile run. How fun!! I also had to decide what bridges to run over. Since I have run the Brooklyn Bridge several times, I decided I needed some new scenery, so I chose the Williamsburg Bridge which I have never been over before. To get into Queens, I stuck with the usual 59th street bridge (yes, that crazy bridge you run over at the 15 mile marker of the NYC marathon!)

The BF and I had so much fun running through the streets of Queens, exploring Brooklyn and trucking over the long-ass Williamsburg bridge. I felt like a tourist in my own backyard! It was great and definitely made the run go alot faster! We, of course, had to eat something before having dessert at Momofuku so we went to one of our favorite breakfast/lunch spots, Sunburst Cafe.

What a yummy day!! Without the guilt!! Perfect!!

I think this may be the way to go from now on during the weekends- pick a new place to try and run to it! It is kind of like the old "kill two birds with one stone" kind of thing.

Added bonus: I had so much fun running over bridges and exploring the sites and sounds of my own city, that I decided to do it all over again on Sunday. I thought the Williamsburg bridge was long until I hauled my sorry butt across the Triboro bridge- now that is one long bridge!! I got alittle lost along the way so my planned 10+ mile run became more like a 12+ run, so I rewarded myself with a double chocolate cookie from Momofuku! (You didn't really think we ran all the way down there, only to buy one cookie, did ya?)

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment