Sail on silver girl...Sail on by...Your time has come to shine...All your dreams are on their way...See how they shine

Sunday, March 14, 2010

I am runner...hear me roar!

I was dreading my long run this weekend because of the horrid weekend weather forecast. Last week's weather was glorious- it finally felt like spring- and made running feel sooooo good. I felt like I had a huge smile on my face throughout the entire run. I just knew, given the predicted forecast for Saturday (35-45 MPH winds and torrential downpour), that I wouldn't be feeling that way again this weekend.
So, I planned ahead. Friday night I loaded up my Ipod with some fun songs to help me get through the dreaded run.
When I first got out there in the morning, it wasn't that bad. However, about halfway into it, the rain and the wind came full force! My reaction at that moment actually surprised me. As the rain came spitting down and the wind tried to knock me out, I smiled. Suddenly, I felt like this powerful warrior, and I heard myself saying "bring it on"! The scene in Forrest Gump, when Captain Dan climbs on the rigging during this incredible storm and angrily shouts, "you call this a storm!" flashed through my mind. The wind was literally trying to knock me down, and I was giving it all I had to stay linear on tired feet. At that moment that I felt like a "real runner" being out there doing my thing, despite the elements. I felt strong! I felt unstoppable! I felt like "I am woman..hear me roar"!!!
Something happened to me out there in that storm. Just like Captain Dan on that boat, I felt like I was confronting my inner demons, and came out of it feeling stronger then I have in a very long time!
I sure hope this feeling stays with me at least until after the National 1/2 next Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. "Sail on silvergirl,
    Sail on by.
    Your time has come to shine.
    All your dreams are on their way.
    See how they shine
    If you need a friend
    I’m sailing right behind."
    Funny, I thought of the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel, copy and pasted the lyrics here (plus 2 lines), and then noticed you have them at the top of your blog! Well, as you know, they definitely relate to your running, especially this run. I LOVE running in the rain. To me it's refreshing and also challenging, so it's fun. Congrats on completing your run despite the weather. Just curious, how far did you run??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again. As far as responding to my comments, either comment on my blog, or e-mail me at cotaman@yahoo.com. Thanks for following and commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete